Sunday, January 6, 2013

That time I accidentally stole something

I have a confession to make: a couple of years back I stole a necklace. Thing is though, it was a complete accident!

I got to thinking about the whole incident today when I was going through jewelry to get rid of and was deciding whether or not to keep the necklace. The finish on the necklace was very tarnished, so I'm going to get rid of it, but how I acquired it was quite interesting.

Back when I lived in Raleigh I had gone in to a major chain store to buy a charm necklace for a coworker of mine for Christmas, after she had commented how much she liked one I was wearing. Inside the store the necklaces were displayed on the branches of a small, fake tree and the actual packaging was displayed below the tree. After not having found the necklace I was looking for already pre-packaged, I decided to grab one off the tree and put it in one of the empty packages beneath (there were lots). I was careful to open up the package to make sure it was empty, and it sure looked that way.

So I checked out of the store, went home and began to wrap the necklace. I decided I actually did not want to wrap the necklace in the stores packaging, and when I went to take it out I was shocked to find there were actually two necklaces in there! The original one was pushed behind some tape in a way that I couldn't see it just by looking in, but sure enough it was there... and I had stolen it.

Maybe taking it back to the store would have been the right thing.. but I thought of it more as a "buy one get one free" kind of deal.. right?

No?

Oh well. Now it will be heading on it's way to Goodwill (it's not in bad shape per se, it's just got more of a bronzed look than it used to.. not my favorite), and in case anyone is wondering, below is a picture of said stolen necklace:


The good news is that I've never stolen anything before that, or since! At least not that I know of...

No comments:

Post a Comment