Friday, March 2, 2012

The Easiest Ice Cream Recipe Ever

A couple of weeks back I posted about the lemon chicken that I had made for dinner, and I briefly mentioned that I had made one of my all time favorite desserts as well. I call it "D's Ice Cream", simply because of the fact that my mom always made it for us, and so I associate the recipe with coming from her! Oh, and yes, I call my mom D (read the story here).

Like most recipes in my collection, this one is beyond simple (only 3 ingredients!), low-fat and super quick. The only catch is that you have to have an ice cream maker to make this, but if you don't have one already there are a lot of great options for fairly cheap. I love mine and would highly recommend this Cuisineart model.

I am not joking when I say that it takes 1 minutes to whip this up, throw it in the ice cream maker and turn on the machine. I might actually time myself next time to see if I can get the process down to 30 seconds... You then just let the machine do it's magic (mine takes 25-30 minutes), and voila! Ice cream!

D's Ice Cream

Ingredients
  • 2 Cups Skim Milk
  • 2 Cups Flavored Liquid Coffee Creamer (fat-free if possible)
  • 3/4 Cup Egg Beaters
  • 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
Directions: Whisk together the first three ingredients in a bowl, mixing well. Pour into ice cream maker and run per specific instructions (each machine may be different). If using chocolate chips, add these in about 5 minutes before the end, or you can just top the ice cream with them before serving (like I did).

That's it! Seriously.

A couple of notes though:
- I always, always halve this recipe when I'm making it for just myself or myself and Vlady. If you're making it for more than 3 people go with the full recipe, otherwise I highly recommend halving it.
- Some flavored coffee creamers work better than others. Safe ones that I know work well are french vanilla and hazelnut (any brand). This go around I used International Delight's Limited Edition Almond Joy, and it was really good! Some of them can taste too artificial, like a cinnamon bun one I tried once, but I've found that for the most part they all taste good.
- If your ice cream maker is like mine, you'll want to scoop out the ice cream into a freezer safe bowl after it's done being made and pop in the freezer for at least another 30 minutes before serving. I find that the ice cream right out of the machine is too soft.

Enjoy!

All of the ingredients

Right after going into the machine

Finished product!


No comments:

Post a Comment