Monday, October 14, 2013

Roasted Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet

I knew it'd been a long, long time since I posted... but I didn't realize it'd been 6 months. Yikes! So let's get right into it.

One of my favorite kitchen gadgets is definitely my ice cream maker, and usually I'm making this recipe. But for some reason I never really branched out from that recipe because I always assumed that making homemade ice cream was a time consuming process. I didn't want to deal with cooking the eggs and cream, making sure it's tempered, etc. etc. Ain't nobody got time for that.

So I was really excited when I saw this recipe for Roasted Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet in Bon Appetit a few months back. It looked so quick and easy (and delicious)! I've since made it twice, and I have to say that it's now one of my favorite frozen treats. Not to mention that the smell of the strawberries and vanilla bean roasting together in the oven was the MOST heavenly smell to ever come out of my kitchen. Seriously! Someone should turn that into a candle scent.

Roasted Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups strawberries (about 1lb), hulled, halved or quartered if large
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, split length wise
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • pinch of kosher salt
(Note: I used a full vanilla bean, as I LOVE the taste of vanilla. I recommend doing this)



Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 425°. Combine strawberries and sugar in a 13x9x2 inches baking pan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and add pod; toss to combine. Roast berries, stirring occasionally, until juices are bubbling, 15–20 minutes. Let cool.


  • Discard pod. Purée berries, buttermilk, sour cream, and salt in a blender until smooth. Process mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer sherbet to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.


  • DO AHEAD: Sherbet can be made 1 week ahead. Keep frozen. Let soften at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment