Monday, July 16, 2012

Things That I Learned This Weekend

This past weekend was actually pretty uneventful. It mainly consisted of running errands (getting stuff for the apartment), putting together furniture for the living room, hitting up the farmers market and going out for date night. Pretty normal, indeed.

That being said, I learned a couple of interesting things that I would like to share:

1) There are great restaurants out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Ok, this is actually something I've been realizing for a few weeks now, but Saturday solidified that. On our date night we went out to Cafe Condesa, a cute and quaint little restaurant in the West Village. We decided to go here based on our normal last minute restaurant finding criteria: highest star rating possible, close proximity, upcoming available table. This time we settled on Cafe Condesa, and I am so happy that we did!

The food was amazing! I would even go as far to say that it was just as good, or even better, than some of the much nicer places we've been to ::Gotham Bar and Grill::. Is it deserving of a Michelin star anytime soon? Nah. However, the mouthwatering steak and avocado and the chicken enchiladas for $18 and $15 (respectively) will certainly make us repeat customers.

2) I don't know how to cook Swiss Chard very well.

After being super excited about the gorgeous produce I picked up at the farmers market (and for such a good price!), I made a dinner that consisted entirely of items from my shopping trip:

Pheasant Sausage Patties
Sauteed Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Ricotta and Fresh Basil
Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes
Sauteed Swiss Chard with Garlic

The zucchini and potatoes were very good, the sausage was pretty good, and the chard was.. well.. not. I treated it like I was cooking spinach, thinking that it would come out the same; but unfortunately it came out overly bitter and not tasty. Next time I may read through a few recipes to get some better ideas or tips, but in the meantime I have a whole lot of sauteed chard in my fridge that I'm not sure what to do with.

3) If I could be any of the "Avengers", I would be Iron Man.

Minus the ego, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment