Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Goat Cheese and Smoked Oyster Puffs

I don't know about you guys, but every time I get invited to a gathering where I will be bringing food I like to make a new recipe. This is actually not a great idea, considering that if it turns out to be inedible then your guests are the guinea pigs in your cooking experiment gone wrong. Nonetheless, I always find myself scouring through cookbooks to find something new to try for each event.

A while ago we went to a house warming party for some friends, and I decided to make some Smoked Oyster and Goat Cheese Pastries as my contribution. The recipe calls for very few ingredients and it sounded quick and simple, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Everything turned out pretty good, although I'd make a few changes when I make them again (and I will make them again).

First, these really need to be small and bite - sized. I cut a couple of mine about 1-1.5" thick, and it was just too big (keep in mind: these are long pieces). Second, I would probably use a teeny bit more goat cheese. When assembling these, I used every last crumble that I had, and I think it could have used a little more. Lastly, I tasted these when they were warm out of the oven and again at room temp (the recipe suggests serving at room temp), and I enjoyed them a lot more when they were warm.

I never would have thought that goat cheese and smoked oysters would work together (they do!), but if you're looking for a tasty, quick, simple and inexpensive appetizer to make for your next gathering I suggest you give this one a go!

Smoked Oysters and Goat Cheese Pastries
Serves 12


Ingredients

  • 4oz soft, fresh goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1 sheet ready made puff pastry dough
  • 6-oz can of smoked oysters
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut rectangle of dough in half lengthwise. Put half the crumbled goat cheese down the middle of one piece of dough. Arrange half the oysters in a row on top of the goat cheese. Brush the beaten egg along both the long sides, fold the dough over the oysters, and gently press the edges together to seal. Repeat with the other piece of dough and remaining cheese and oysters.
Lightly brush both puff pastry packages with beaten egg, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut both packages into 1-inch slices, then transfer to a buttered baking tray. Bake for 12 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures.. my iPhone sometimes doesn't do the best job!





No comments:

Post a Comment