Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sweet Potato, Sausage and Kale Soup

Happy 2012 everyone! While we've been in the new year for about a week now, most people still have resolutions fresh on their mind. I do like to try and cook healthy as much as possible, and I don't exactly make resolutions each year, but I did feel as though it was fitting to have my first cooked meal of the year be super healthy.

There are so many pros to this soup that I can't believe I've had the recipe for this long (years) and never made it. As many people know, I appreciate recipes that utilize as little dishes as possible (our mini dishwasher can't fit my biggest cookware pieces), and this is truly a one pot soup. That combined with the fact that it's super healthy (sweet potato, kale, white beans and turkey sausage!) AND delicious, and I'm hooked.

I did add a little freshly grated cheese as a finishing touch (we tried both parmesan and swiss and they were equally delicious), but even with that a big bowl of this stuff will really fill you up without the calories. Love.

Sweet Potato, Sausage and Kale Soup

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 4 cups chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more if you want more kick)
  •  6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 lb sweet turkey Italian sausage
  • 8 cups coarsely chopped and peeled sweet potatoes (about 2 1/4 lbs)
  • 5 cups water
  • 4 cups fat free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (16oz) package pre-washed, torn kale (or spinach if you can't get kale)
  • 1 (16oz) can cannellini beans
Directions
Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and garlic, saute 1 minute. Add sausage to pot, cook 5 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Add potato, 5 cups water and broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes. Gradually add kale, cook 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and beans, cook 5 minutes until thoroughly heated.

Notes
This makes A LOT of soup, so if you're like me and only cooking for 2 people I would recommend halving the recipe (or you'll end up with a fridge full of leftovers and be eating soup for days like I did.. thank goodness it's so good). This would probably serve 4 people as a main course, or 6-8 people as a side to something else (salad, sandwich, etc). 

Also, like I mentioned earlier I topped each bowl with a little grated cheese and cracked fresh pepper, and I think that really added a nice touch, but it's certainly good without it.  Enjoy!

Note the glass of wine in the background. I always drink a glass of vino while cooking, it's a must.

 Bringing the soup to a simmer.

 After the kale was added.

Finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment